Faith Memorial Chapel was founded as Faith Chapel in the last part of the nineteenth century by the Rt. Reverend Ellison Capers D.D., the Confederate general, who later became Bishop of the Diocese of South Carolina. Bishop and Mrs. Capers spent summer vacations at Cedar Mountain and the Bishop preached in the mountain churches when he was in the area. Mrs. Capers wished for an Episcopal summer chapel. Her dream was realized in 1894 when Bishop Horner, Bishop of the Diocese of Western North Carolina, gave his consent. A lot across the old Greenville Highway from Camp Cottage was given and Bishop Capers and local friends built a small enclosed chapel. After Bishop Capers death in 1908, the chapel fell in disrepair with only a few pews and communion shelves being saved.
In the 1930’s, the Rev. Dr. Alexander Robert Mitchell, former Archdeacon of the Diocese of South Carolina, led a movement to revive Faith Chapel. Many members of his church, Saint James Episcopal Church, Greenville, S.C., spent summers in the Cedar Mountain area and Dr. Mitchell decided to hold services so his church members and other summer visitors would have a place to worship. In the summer of 1936 and in June and July of 1937 services were held on the porch of the home of Mrs. Louis H. Cary. After fire destroyed the Cary home, services were held in August at the home of Dr. Theodore Stone.
The need for a summer chapel had been demonstrated and Dr. Mitchell, Dr. Stone and others worked diligently to develop Faith Memorial Chapel. The current chapel was constructed on land given in memory of Eugene Earle and Floride Lidia Croft Stone by their children. On July 10, 1938, Dr. Mitchell conducted the first worship service in the rustic log and stone chapel with a flagstone floor. At that time, Faith Memorial Chapel was dedicated to the memory of Bishop Capers. The existing chapel has seen several physical expansions, the last in 1994.
From 1938 the attendance has grown in number and denominational preferences. Outstanding clergy representing many denominations have been included in the yearly summer programs.